This quote was actually a revelation for me. It is filled with so much common sense when it comes to addiction. Visual cues play a big part with things that were once habits that turn into addictions.
For example, to quit smoking, it is recommended to get rid of the ashtrays and of course cigarettes. That way you have to go to great effort to break your resolve to have one. You would have to go to the store and buy at least cigarettes and matches.
The same with alcohol, if it is in your refrigerator, chances are you will drink it. But if it is not in your environment and you have to go to some effort to get it, you stand a better chance of abstaining.
When it comes to avoiding processed foods, you must clean up your environment. So, remove all the refined foods that are not supporting your health or weight loss goals.
Along with having the processed food out, you need a strategy to have lots of healthy food in your kitchen. A well stocked fridge when you are hungry can make all the difference in helping you keep your resolve. Prepping your vegetables and bulk cooking can be a life saver.
A lot of us live with others who haven't made the connection between food and health. They insist on having their highly refined foods in the house. Make some sort of compromise. Make it so that you don’t have to see the food.
Sometimes my husband orders in food. If it is not what I can eat, then I take the dog for a walk while he is eating it. His snack foods that are off limits for me are stored in a box that is not readily visible.
There are more tips and tricks in my book, BREAK THE CYCLE. But remember that to have life long success, work on your environment first. Keep your kitchen free from highly refined foods that contain salt, sugar and oil.
Dr. Lisle says to put 80% of your effort into cleaning up your environment. The remaining 20% is the effort you put into yourself. Without the refined food in your house you are more likely to eat the healthy options that are available.
So, I challenge you to purge your cupboards and fridge of highly processed food and prep that healthy food. Guard your food sobriety.